Popular Posts

Wednesday 28 May 2014

The Garden Route - South Africa

 
Kim-Erik, myself and the family
So... after all of my travels in Scandinavia, my dear friends had decided to pay me a visit in South Africa...
And well, I was really excited, I was also extremely nervous to show them around my home.
I believe the main reason I was so nervous was because of the passion I have for my home. Yes - there are a list of things I can find wrong with South Africa (as any South African could) there is still something extremely patriotic about our nations people... I was more than thrilled to rediscover my land - and show it to my friends!


The Garden Route:





The Garden route is a popular holiday route through the wild coast of Africa. It is usually driven from Johannesburg to Capetown, from there the journey begins! We only had a few days to explore and as you can imagine this trip had a lot of driving - which took up most of our time.

The map above gives you a good idea where we had traveled.


The first stop - Cape Town! Not only is this city absolutely gorgeous - its spunky and the weather marvelous! To top it all off, we even got to stay at the Raddisson blu! Oh and excuse us - it was a king sized bed with a sea view from our bed!
Our first few days in Cape Town weren't what we had planned. Sadly, we missed Robben island and never got to spend much time at the beach... May was quite ill (I think she ate something) but luckily for us - we still got to do some exploring (she was quite a  good sport)

Sunset from our hotel room in the Radisson Blu

We got to see Table mountain (we even went to the top!) The sky was clear and the view took our breath away! We then went and had dinner at the water front - I was practically in tears because the entire experience was overwhelming!
There are fantastic shops in Cape Town, the city is clean and safe to walk around no matter the time of day. 

The following day we went to see some family of mine in Hout bay, we also got to see the sunset at Signal hill, which was extremely romantic!

Just before our journey in Cape Town was about to end... I got to see a good friend of mine, Justine. We went the completely cheesey route and took a tourist bus around the city.
The weather changed as the scenery all around the mountain - I was blown away -
To end our amazing experience in Cape Town we decided to take a drive out to Cape Point - now obviously I had seen photos of the place - but having the experience of actually seeing the mountains, sea and beaches was beyond my expectation!
I took a walk around, and as I got to the most Southern point of Africa - something hit me... Everything I ever needed was right here - at home. All my love, all my desires, all my hopes and dreams...
Majority of my life I thought the answers were outside - far away - to be traveled and discovered, yet all I needed to do was take a drive out and discover - home.


One of the Heads in Knysna
We then took a drive to Knysna -  as we exit-ted  Cape Town and drove along the Coast line, we were completely overwhelmed by the massive townships on the horizon. Apparently there are millions of people who reside in informal settlements within the Western Cape. The drive was diverse and beautiful and although the weather was not on our side, we were lucky because we took a nice long drive to Oudtshoorn where we went to the very famous Kango caves!

There are two trails you can do in the caves - and although I was feeling extremely adventurous, I did the basic walk which lasts about an hour. The caves are magnificent and beautifully lit up. I was quite surprised by the mountains on the surface of the earth, never-mind what could be discovered below!
After the trip to Knysna (which I might add) is the holiday destination for the average Cape Townian (second to paradise) we decided to drive to our next stop - Plettenberg bay. Much to our dismay, the rain had not cleared up but this did not stop the excitement of our trip!


Plettenberg Bay Beach
Plettenberg Bay by was almost too good to be true! We were literally on the beach - and I couldn't wait to get my toes in the sand! So that night, I took Kim-Erik by the hand and we shared a utterly romantic and surreal walk on the beach in the light Autumn rain (moments that make romantic movies look dull!)
The following morning we were up at sunrise and decided to look for shells on the shore, we found blue bottles, smooth stones and washed up jelly fish (I was poking them with a stick)
We had a delicious breakfast but before my food could even digest I was back on the beach and for the first time in a really long time - I took a morning swim in the sea! My fondest memory of this trip was my head under the crisp water and the waves pushing me from side to side... I couldn't have felt anymore happy.
There is quite a variety of bird life that can be seen on the lake where our hotel was, this gave for lovely photo opportunities for May and Bjorn-Erik.
I love Plettenberg bay.

Meeting up with the family in Cape Town
After the swim and breakfast, we took a drive through to Tstikama National Park. The fees were utterly ridiculous at the gate, but somehow we managed to get everyone in at local gates. The entire park is a jungle. It is an experience you cant explain in words - but only feel. There is a wonderful hike you can do for 1km to a suspension bridge where the coffee black river from between the canyons and icy blue sea water collide. I loved the smell of the park, I loved the feeling of tranquility it brought me... There is also quite a bit of wild life to be spotted on the 1km walk such as Dassies (they are so cute!)
After spending a good few hours at Tstikama, we took a drive to Port Elizabeth  and well we never really got to spend much time in the city - because we had to drive through toGraaf Reniet, PE is definitely a lovely place.
Time is never really on your side when you are driving around so much and there is so much to see, once we had stopped off in PE we had to take a drive in the dark through the Karoo. I have never really been a fan of driving at night, but the entire experience was truly worth it!



Just as I though the trip could not get any better - it did. Graaf Reniet is probably one of thee most beautiful towns I have ever seen... Quaint little houses in the street, old cars parked in the road, and a massive NG church right in the middle of the main road, the church is majestic, beautiful and well kept. We even got to chat to the head of the church whom willingly gave us a brief history on the church and its relevance to South Africa...
Thinking you were in the middle of a desert - it would be hot - it wasn't, there was quite a dry chilly air lingering around...
After sight seeing in the town (also known as dorp) we took a drive out to the infamous dorpie, Nieu Bethesda. Known for only one thing - The owl house.

The Karoo


It had always been a dream of mine to see the Owl house.. nestled in between the dry lands of the Karoo lay a tiny little Oasis where the house can be found... Helen Martins (the artist of the house) left behind a fascinating piece of art - her home which has become a world famous museum for all to see.
She is famous for her sculptures made from cement and glass... Kim-Erik bought us each an owl. I was delighted!
We ended this trip by stopping off at a little house which served home made pancakes and iced tea. I have no idea how someone could actually live out there, but the owner of the house seemed quite relaxed and
happy.

Just before we got on top of Table Mountain

Before we knew it, we were on the road again - and as all good things come to an end - we ended our adventure at South Africa's largest man-made dam. No much happens in Gariep Dam, but it is still something worth seeing. And much to our luck... We got to see an entire congregation of church people in their finest clothes leave for a wedding, it was a complete cultural delight!

Kango Caves just past Oudtshoorn
We took a long drive home - I started smelling the burnt fields and pollution as I entered Gauteng, Johannesburg - I knew I was home. Even so, in all its rustic ways. there is still something magical about this place - I thought as the sunset slowly slipped below Soweto and a cloud of pollution that lay comfy over the city's skyline... It was good to travel...But even better to be safe back home...





The Owl house
Summary of the trip:

Johannesburg flight to Cape Town
4 days in Capetown - Activities included: Dinner, shopping, Table Mountain, Cape Point and the tourist bus
1 night in Knysna - Activities included: The Kango Cave and the two heads
1 night in Plettenberg Bay - Activities included: The beach and a drive to the Tsitiskama nature reserve
1 night in Graaf reniet - Activities included: A drive through Port Elizabeth a stop off in the Karoo and a viewing at the owl house
1 night in Gariep Dam - Resting point before home


Although this blog was only about the garden route, we also traveled to the South coast of South Africa in Kwa-Zulu Natal, where we went to Pennington, Scottborough and Margate. Most of our time was spent as a group on the beach.

Tsitsikama Nature reserve
To end our lovely experience in South Africa, as a group we went to the Kruger National park, where we saw a large variety of animals between the Malelane gate to Skukuza; from Skukuza to Lower sabie out Numbi gate.

There was also a large variety of things to do in Johannesburg such as visiting the Cradle of man kind, (meeting the infamous Mrs Ples) the Rhino and Lion park, (where you actually get to play with the Lions) Gold Reef city, museums and many art galleries.

Going on this trip was such an incredible experience, I learnt about my country, its people and the value of appreciating the very place I call my home.

I cannot wait to blog about my next traveling experience, soon...





No comments:

Post a Comment